ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Rjl
Rjl
Junior MemberPosts: 42
Like?
TG3 first impressions
3 months ago

I have a TG2 and have just bought a TG3 primarily for the microscope mode and focus stacking. I want to able to get close up shots of plants in tricky environments.

In most respects the TG3 is very similar to the TG2, I have found the image quality to be much the same, the extra pixels are a marginal benefit on the TG3....not a good enough reason to upgrade.

The macro/microscope mode of the TG3 is impressive, not for pixel peepers but as a quick and dirty means to capture details of floral structure and tiny plants it fits my needs very well. The focus stacking works well however I need to experiment with more frames than the default uses as I can see out of focus zones between the focussed areas. I can hand hold (braced against the ground) for stacked exposures at the default setting, any more frames and a tripod would be essential. I will do more experiments to hone my skills with the focus stacking, in the mean time here's a shot of fern sori.

TG3 image at default settings in focus stacking mode - just the tiniest touch of sharpening applied.

Olympus Tough TG-3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow