Picture developing, do they ever look as good as on the computer?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JustEric
Junior MemberPosts: 30
Like?
Picture developing, do they ever look as good as on the computer?
2 months ago

I'm really new to DSLR (Canon D7) picture taking but I managed to get some great pictures from a family vacation.  I converted the pictures to JPEGs that are about 16mb files.  I took picture files to Wallmart just to see what I could get using their instant photo processing.  I suspect their instant photos are even one step lower than their 1 hour processing.  Anyway, after spending $25 on a bunch of 4x6 pictures all I can say is I'll never do that again.  The colors were muted and the pictures looked soft.  The pictures had a red hue to them which made everyone look like they had a sunburn.  The pictures looked like they were developed with a dark piece of plastic over the pictures.

On the other hand, when I processed the pictures on my computer using the Cannon Digital Photo Professional, the Images were sharp, full of color and were corrected for great exposer.  In addition, I sharpened the pictures both in their Raw state and in their JPEG form.

Questions:

Do your printed pictures ever look as good as the picture displayed on the computer screen?

Do the colors match between your computer (processed picture) and on picture paper.  I know that is a tough question since everyone can have different monitor settings.  But on my monitor, there was a red stripe on a boat that was a perfect red.  The same picture that was printed had the red a dark color that was obviously red but much less red than on my computer.  Almost a dark muted lifeless red.  Very disappointing.

Do printed pictures have less dynamic range?

Where would you recommend I send my pictures for processing?  Should I send JPEG's or already worked Raw images?  It seems in Canon Digital Photo, I lose a little picture quality when I save them as JPEG pictures.  It would be nice if I can send Raw images.

I know I got what I deserved going for instant photo processing.  I just want to make a better informed processing decision next time!

Thanks!

Eric

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
YesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow