ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
martyndarkly
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
Advice on buying an RX100 Mk 1
5 months ago

Hello everyone,

I was just hoping that you might be able to help me with a quandary that I have about buying a new camera.

I've had a Nikon D50 for years, and although I enjoy the results I get from shooting with it, the size means that I rarely take it out. In fact most of my shooting now takes place on my Nexus 5 phone, which gives me decent shots for casual images.

What I'm wondering now is whether I should invest in a new DSLR, a CSC or a premium compact. The DSLR route feels a little doubtful as I've said before I'd probably leave it indoors too much. So it seems a straight fight between a CSC and the Sony RX100 Mk1 (I can't really afford the MK2). I'd love to get into some street photography and a few macro/artsy styles of shooting. Maybe some old buildings  (especially B&W). So my main question is whether the Sony would be a better choice than say the Olympus Pen Lite EP5 if I only use the kit lens? Whereas I've seen some amazing shots from both cameras, the most impressive were from the EL5 but using a £400 prime lens. I can't see myself  being able to spend that kind of money in the future, so I'd probably stick with what I buy from the outset.

I know there are plenty of variables that make this a hard question to answer, but I'd appreciate any advice from those who have had some experience with these,  or equivalent, cameras.

Thank you,

Martyn

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow