Suggestions for camera/lens combo for Italy

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
greenmanphoto
Contributing MemberPosts: 679Gear list
Like?
Re: Suggestions for camera/lens combo for Italy
In reply to HappyTailz, 4 months ago

HappyTailz,

We went to Italy in 2010, in part to see the Shroud of Turin. I bought the Sigma 10-20 f3.5 specifically to take with me there. I've ended up using it quite a bit, but I can certainly recommend to you a good wide-angle lens like that one, particularly since you're talking about doing architecture shots. Also, if you're thinking of church interior shots, take along a tripod: churches are generally quite dark inside, and handholding the camera, particularly when you're already saying you don't like the grain/noise involved with higher ISO settings, is not going to work out very well for you. Some churches may not allow the use of the tripod, while others don't seem to mind.

Others have already answered some of your other questions, but I thought I'd give you my perspective. If you DO rent a camera, consider still taking your own camera. For one thing, you're used to your camera, and that may serve you well in some cases. For another, you don't want to have a camera failure and have no fall-back option.

Good luck with your decisions, and enjoy your trip!

Sam

-- hide signature --

Sam B.
D200, 16-85mm, 35-135mm, Sigma 10-20 f3.5 N8008s, Gitzo 2531, Induro DM-01 ballhead
Certified Texas Master Naturalist
Proud WSSA Member #260!
www.flickr.com/photos/sibeardjr
www.doormouse-editions.com

greenmanphoto's gear list:greenmanphoto's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di VC USD Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
OohNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow