How are you getting closer than 3.5m with the EF 400 f/5.6L?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bugbait
Senior MemberPosts: 1,073Gear list
Like?
How are you getting closer than 3.5m with the EF 400 f/5.6L?
5 months ago

I will have about $3000 total to spend on a body and or lens on or soon after Black Friday. I will be moving up from the EOS-M to either a used 7D, 70D or hopefully 7DII. But a huge part of the equation is a possible a lens to add to my EF-S 55-250 f/5.6STM.

The EF 400 f/5.6L is by all accounts a super value. But my concern is the closest focusing distance is 3.5 meters or 11.5 feet.

I had some luck this spring finding a hummingbird nest but getting to pleasing angles I was limited down to 9 feet away, no close angle available. And this is common photographing hummingbirds and other fast moving creatures in the Pacific North West USA as the forest is thick and Blackberries alone tie up ground cover.

Here are two example image I am hoping to be able to capture with my 430exII flashes often in high speed sync mode. From 1/200 sec up to 1/4000 second. But with accurate fast focus of the new lens and body.

I am wondering what some of you experienced photographers have done to be able to use the 400 f/5.6L for a day of handheld action but with a solution for closer up?

Are you stopping to insert a thin extension for say an hour or are you adding the Canon 77mm Close up 500D?

My subject are about 4" to 1/2" in size. (13mm to 10cm)

Or perhaps you believe the trade off in clarity and additional extra cost EF 100-400L, is the best option as my only L class super telephoto.

bugbait's gear list:bugbait's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +1 more
Canon EOS 500D (EOS Rebel T1i / EOS Kiss X3) Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow