Print is dead!

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Jrkahuna
Regular MemberPosts: 168Gear list
Like?
Re: It's just sleeping!
In reply to maljo@inreach.com, 3 months ago

This is a fascinating thread. My two cents is that print is not dead per se. It may not be what it was 20 or 30 years ago, but what is? Cameras aren't what they were 20 or 30 years ago. Times change. You should too. Yes people use their iPhones for pictures. I do when I want to capture a snapshot in time. Do I need to carry my D610 for whenever a moment arises and I just want to capture it? That is ludicrous to me.

Just because people use their iPhones regularly and don't print out 4x6 images they stuff in a shoe box and never pull out again doesn't mean good photography is dead. People will still treasure great photos whether they are taken with an iPhone or a D810.

Stop lamenting what once was and reinvent yourself. I have been amazed at the response I have gotten from parents at photos I have taken of their kids at swimming and Tae Kwon Do events. More than one asked me how much money I wanted for them if I would send them. I haven't taken any yet, I am enjoying bring joy to people. Maybe some day I will charge if I think I am good enough.

Maybe some folks are doing this for different reasons than I am, but I just want others to enjoy the pictures that I take. Why do I care if it is on a 4x6 or their iPhone, or Flickr or wherever they want to consume it. As long as they consume it that makes me happy.

If you want to print pictures, then go print them. Last I looked, they still make paper and ink. So get cracking. And if you customers don't want prints, then who cares? Give them good pictures in the way they want to consume them.

-- hide signature --

Life was a lot easier when I didn't give a crap what my pictures looked like

Jrkahuna's gear list:Jrkahuna's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon D80 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow