Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
SaltLakeGuy
Forum ProPosts: 10,513Gear list
Like?
Not trusting peaking all that much
2 months ago

I was playing around yesterday with my new A77MkII and 16-50 f2.8 SSM lens. The lens is dead on with no microadjustments so here's the deal. I noted when in a dimly lit room trying to shoot say a picture, which has a frame of course, that the autofocus was rendering a superior sharp image than manual with peaking shot. So what I'm noting is the peaking (red) shows on the frame, but since their is some depth to the frame the actual picture isn't as sharp as when I autofocus with the center autofocus spot of course dead on the actual image. I don't suppose there is some way to get the peaking to respond to the CENTER of the subject you are shooting as opposed to it's tendency to light up on the fringes or edges of the subject? I was hoping for a better peaking result. However at least my eyesight is excellent as I can ignore the peaking and gently adjust focus so it looks sharpest to my eye, and THAT works perfectly in it's results. What are you folks doing out there for manual focus? Unless I completely missed something there is no special function as in other cameras I've used (Fuji and Panasonic to name a few) where when you go into manual focus it automatically zooms real close to magnify the vew for critical focus. I didn't note that on this camera, so if I missed it please tell me how to find it. Thanks.

-- hide signature --

Sony A77MkII SLT Body, 16-50 f2.8 Sony Lens, 70-300G Sony Lens
Picturecode PhotoNinja, LightZone, Adobe Lightroom 5.4

SaltLakeGuy's gear list:SaltLakeGuy's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Epson Stylus Pro 3880
Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow