Randy Benter wrote:

darngooddesign wrote:

Randy Benter wrote:

darngooddesign wrote:

Jared Huntr wrote:

darngooddesign wrote:

alohakid wrote:

Thanks for the replies .

My priority is how the 2 cameras compare in IQ .

Since both have good IQ you should probably decide which you prefer from a handling POV. IRC, I preferred the images my X100 took over my XA1, but honestly in a blind comparison I doubt I could tell them apart. Also, the XA1 is 16MP while the X100 is 12MP.

Does the X-A1 share the same 'legendary' Sony 16mp sensor used in the Nikon (and I think Pentax) dSLRs? 'Legendary' as in the ability to pull amazing detail from underexposed areas when using RAW.

Don't know, but the X100 has a sensor specifically designed for its lens.

No, the X100 uses the same Sony sensor that is in the Nikon D90 and other cameras. There is nothing unique about it, but it is good. The X-A1 (and X-M1, X-E1, X-Pro1) all use the Sony 16MP sensor (X-Trans models have different CFA of course).

http://www.finepix-x100.com/en/story

• The sensor has been specially customised just for this lens. Unlike film, the sensors of most digital cameras require incoming light to strike the sensor surface at an angle that is as perpendicular to the sensor surface as possible. Because this is difficult to achieve with a slim lens, the positioning of the microlens on the sensor of the X100 has been customised to allow the capture of light rays with up to a 20° angle of incidence. Without this sensor customisation, it would be necessary to lengthen the size of the lens by 10mm.

The XA1's sensor is the same one used in other cameras, but the X100's sensor was modified for that lens specifically. Maybe the changes they made don't affect IQ, maybe they do, but the X100 really does render light remarkably.

Advertising is seldom a good source for technical details. The X-100 uses the same Sony sensor that is in the Nikon D90, but it has a different microlens layer placed in front of that Sony sensor to accommodate the fact that the lens is very close to the sensor. The sensor isn't really customized, but I understand why Fuji uses the term sensor to keep things simple. Not everyone understands what microlenses are and how the pieces fit together.

The X-Pro, X-E1, and X-M1 use the same Sony sensor that is in the Nikon D7000, but they have an X-Trans Bayer filter placed in front of that Sony sensor that arranges the RGB pixels in a different pattern than found on a Standard Bayer filter. The sensor isn't really customized, but I understand why Fuji uses the term X-Trans sensor to keep things simple. Not everyone understands what a CFA is and how the pieces fit together.

Even if that's true and the IQ is exactly the same, the X100's handling (its near silent, it's macro can focus at closer distances, it has a hybrid viewfinder, it has a built in ND filter, it has true high speed flash sync, etc) is different enough from the XA1 that you should rent one to try it out. If you can find a place that rends the XA1 you should do that as well so you can see if you prefer the tilting screen, wifi, take different lenses, etc. That is my point.

darngooddesign's gear list:darngooddesign's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow