Lens suggestion for Riverboat Tour (Budapest, Vienna, Prague)

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Steven Wandy
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,892Gear list
Like?
Lens suggestion for Riverboat Tour (Budapest, Vienna, Prague)
4 months ago

My wife and I are taking a riverboat tour along the Blue Danube from Budapest (through Vienna) and on to Prague. While we have travelled a bit in Europe and have taken a riverboat before, we have never visited this area.

Most of my "travel" shots tend to be in the wide to normal range. The times I have taken a longer zoom lens (generally the Olympus 50-200 years ago and currently the 40-150), I use it perhaps 10% of the time or less. I had originally thought about taking my Olympus Stylus 1 (with it's great zoom range) instead of my EM10, but just feel that the overall IQ of the EM10 is just better.

So I will be taking the EM10 and one of the 14-42 lenses (probably the EZ Pancake just because of it's size convenience over the IIR version), the BCL Fisheye (because it is too small and too much fun to leave home) and possibly the Olympus 17mm/1.8 (for indoors and at night, though to be honest on our last trip, I rarely changed from the EZ to the 17mm, even indoors in museums, when I had both along). I have the 40-150 - which while I will admit is relatively small and light for it's zoom range - still would require a larger camera bag than I really wish to take along.

So I am asking people who have been/traveled to these cities (not much wildlife to be concerned with), did you feel the need for a long lens?

Thanks, Steve

Steven Wandy's gear list:Steven Wandy's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +4 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow