Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Dennis
Forum ProPosts: 13,982
Like?
ILC alternative to Sony RX10
4 months ago

I've had the Sony RX10 buzzing around the back of my brain lately, thinking it would make an awfully handy travel camera (versus my RX100, it's bigger & heavier, and costs $1000, but has a tilting LCD, EVF, f/2.8 across the zoom range and 24-200 FOV with, I believe, a bit better optics).

I don't know if I'll do anything about that, but I started wondering what other options there are (because the idea of $1000 on a fixed lens camera that gets discarded in its entirety one day bugs me a little).  A similar lens on a body that can be upgraded might be interesting.  (So I'm not wondering about fixed lens alternatives, like the FZ1000, unless there's a smaller sensor alternative with a faster lens that costs less - something like the Fuji XS1, but it has a slower lens on a smaller sensor).

So instead of f/2.8 on 1", I could look at something around f/4 on m43 or up to f/5.6 on APS-C.  Here's what I came up with:

RX10 is 24/7.6-200/7.6 equivalent

An e-mount body with the 18-105/4 PZ gives me 27/6.0-158/6.0 equivalent

An e-mount body with the 18-200 gives me 27/5.2-300/9.5 equivalent

A Nikon DSLR with 18-105 gives me 27/5.2-150/8.4 while the 18-140 or 18-200 extend that

Fuji's new 18-135 is similar to the Nikon 18-140

There's really nothing for Nikon 1 (10-100 is slow compared to the RX10) or micro 4/3 (14-140 or 150 zooms at f/5.6 at the tele end just don't seem interesting as an alternative)

Of those, the e-mount kit has one key advantage: I already own the pricey 18-200 and would need to add a body.  I'm not thrilled with the A6000, though (I don't find the EVF all that great, and can't believe they dropped the digital level display).  And the NEX-6 & 7 still use the old, lousy menu and lack lack Auto ISO in M.

I chose Nikon and not Canon because I shoot a Nikon DSLR.  The D7000 is big, though, and I might contemplate a more compact body.  And that's something I'm not too crazy about (then again, if I could get it in kit form with the lens I want, it could be at a good price).  A Canon Sl1 with a similar zoom might be a consideration.  Fuji is probably out of the picture because the lens is expensive to begin with, and then bodies with EVFs are expensive (the XE1 is a bargain, but not sure I'd want the older model).  All of those options are a big bigger/heavier in combo than the RX10, and none have the same WA coverage.

All of this makes the RX10 seem like a really nice niche product without much competition.  Wondering what anyone else is aware of, or is using, for similar purposes with roughly similar specs.

- Dennis

-- hide signature --
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow