Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
tarakanchik
Regular MemberPosts: 334
Like?
D800e lenses advise.
2 months ago

I was hoping someone could help me decide which lens(es) I should get for the recently purchased d800.  This has probably been discussed at length but I would still appreciate the help. I largely take pictures while traveling, primarily it's landscape, wildlife, architecture and occasional macro.  I am switching from d7000 to d800 mostly for the cropping ability, better low light performance and overall image quality.  I am also planning a short trip to Alaska in August where I'm hoping to shoot some nice landscapes and bears (from afar) so I would need good gear for both wide and telephoto ends.

I currently have the following FX lense:  Nikon 50 1.8; Sigma 150 macro (the OS version) and Sigma 50-500 (the non-OS version).  I'm thinking of keeping the 50 (as it's cheap anyway) and the macro as I think it's a good lens but am not sure about the 50-500 and how well it will do on such a big sensor.

I'm considering the following lenses:

Tamron 24-70 2.8 - read mostly good reviews on it and it has a VR.  While it's (likely) not as good as the Nikon one, I feel it might be worth it for the price.  It's a good general purpose lens as well as landscape.

Nikon 14-24 2.8 - from what I understand, this is widely (no pun intended) regarded as the best ultra wide out there.  Is it worth the money?  Are there cheaper (yet quality) alternatives?  My friend just got a 17-35 and says it's good, so maybe get that instead?  Just not sure.  I've also seen primes recommendation in this FL sector but I think I'd prefer a zoom, though I'm open to it if it's the best option.

Nikon 70-200 2.8 - also, I believe, considered one of the best lenses out there.  I, however, wouldn't be able to afford both it and the 14-24.  If I get this one and something cheaper on the wide angle I think I would need a TC and probably sell my 50-500.  I definitely need something long but the 300/400/500 primes are just too expensive and bulky.  So 200 with 2x TC and maybe dx crop longest I would get in this case, which is not bad I guess.  Another alternative that I'm considering would be using my 150 for the long end here (I think I would use 70-200 at 200 80% of the time) though it's obviously a bit shorter but still an option.

My budget is roughly $1,500 which isn't much but I could also sell the 50-500 and my dx gear to add to it if needed.

Thank you for your help.

-- hide signature --

I lug my photo equipment everywhere. Is it heavy? Yes. Is it uncomfortable and cumbersome? Absolutely. Is it often an inconvenience? You bet. But is it all worth it? Sometimes...

Nikon D800E
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow