Will the Quattro Embarrass Sigma into dropping their camera line?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
maxotics
Regular MemberPosts: 282Gear list
Like?
Will the Quattro Embarrass Sigma into dropping their camera line?
3 months ago

It's been a week since I sent back my loaned Quattro. There is little doubt in my mind that Sigma will suffer a complete and humiliating failure. Generally, we all buy cameras for one main reason, whether it is specific, like the Fovean sensor, or general, like the all-around usefulness of the RX100. The Quattro has lost its specific claim to fame in IQ against the Merrill, and as a camera that would appeal to generalists it cannot compete. The odd-shaped body will appeal to a few people who want to stand out from the crowd; they won't make the camera profitable.

Every time I think of the Quattro I think of that video of the Corporate factory in Japan, out in the woods. Very few people are seen. The Sigma factory is like a monastery. One gets the sense Sigma lives out in the woods, away from the bustle of the world.

Only isolation can explain why a company could bring such market-naive camera to market. I can imagine young, brash, executives at Sigma claiming the Qauttro will be disruptive, unique, a camera that will demand notice! A camera to appeal to a new generation of design-conscious users. The older executives, probably tired with the perennial slow sales of their cameras, let youthful exuberance overrun them.

It is likely that the Quattro may be the last-ditch effort for Sigma to remain in the camera business. I cannot believe for a second that there weren't many experienced Sigma executives who knew what risks were being taken by reducing IQ and taking such a huge risk with the body design. They must have known that swinging so hard for the fence would lead to a strike-out.

So here we are. I read posts of people defending these cameras, but not as in, the Quattro is great, but "it isn't so bad." I don't think these people are doing Sigma any favors. Sigma should cut its losses as soon as possible with the Quattro. I hope they don't pour good money after bad. If they want to stay with the DP cameras, they need to back to, and keep improving, the Merrill line of un-adulterated vertical color sampling.

I predict Sigma will sell its camera business. Their lenses do better and better. Sony is having trouble producing lenses for its hot cameras. Sigma is in a great position to become a brand name in lenses, competing with the likes of Zeiss. Why should they embarrass themselves with cameras? One has to wonder if the Quattro was almost a subconscious effort to let the market make up their mind for them.

Sorry for the long post. My question is, IF one accepts the hypothesis that the Quatto is a failure (even if you personally LOVE the camera), do you believe Sigma will continue on with the cameras. And if so, how long until they come out with another model?

Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow