Waterproof bag for DSLR + Telephoto lens?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Chris R-UK
Forum ProPosts: 12,313Gear list
Like?
Re: Waterproof bag for DSLR + Telephoto lens?
In reply to shadyyx, 2 months ago

shadyyx wrote:

I am going on a photo trip in few weeks and there is a possibility to borrow an inflatable boat and do a lot of birdwatching and photo shooting from the water. This way we could get much better and closer images of water birds that could be hardly obtained from the ground.

Since I am afraid about damaging my equipment I was thinking about getting a waterproof bag capable of holding my DSLR + telephoto lens attached. Is there such bag available?

I was exploring waterproof bags on Amazon and even they could be obtained for a reasonable price they all seem to allow only some non-tele lenses to be attached.

How do you take care about your equipment when doing birdwatching from a boat?

On a Galapagos trip where we were transported ashore in inflatables and had some tricky landings I put our cameras into a dry bag with a towel inside.  I think that this would been adequate in the event that I just dropped the bag into the atwer when getting out of the boat, but I doubt that it would have handled a prolonged immersion.  The dry bag that I got doubled as a rucksack and was useful for carrying water, inset repellent ashore.

After that trip I decided that the drybag was overkill and now just use a normal backpack.  However, on a recent whale watching small boat cruise to Baja California I did use a dry bag when photographing birds from an inflatable.  When we were moving fast there was a lot of spray around and  I just tucked my camera into the mouth of the bag and held it there until the boat slowed down.

When we had grey whale "friendlies" around in San Ignacio lagoon and water was flying everywhere, I put my main camera into the dry bag and shot with a small waterproof compact instead.

-- hide signature --

Chris R

Chris R-UK's gear list:Chris R-UK's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +6 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow