Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
nuke12
Contributing MemberPosts: 581Gear list
Like?
Focus Tuning the Tammy 150-600
5 months ago

I’m finding my copy of the lens a little soft at 600mm. Yes, I know the lens is softer at 600 then it is at 500mm and below. Just looking at other images and images from a friend’s copy of the lens, I think my lens can do better.

I have a tendency not to tune lenses and just run with them as they are. In the past, it seemed that tuning the lens at one distance seemed to make it worse at other distances. I know some will say to tune the lens at the distance you use the most. I don’t find that idea very appealing because I never seem to be using the lens at any certain distance. I could be trying close-ups one time and something very far away the next. Whatever pops up in front of me and I find interesting.

Have others seen this issue and how do you deal with it?

-- hide signature --

I'm a photo hacker. I use my expensive equipment to destroy anything in front of my camera. This is a special skill that can never be realized by low life photographers. A nurtured skill since the 1970's.

nuke12's gear list:nuke12's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED VR II Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD +18 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow