Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
sgoldswo
Senior MemberPosts: 3,564Gear list
Like?
Re: Switching from D700 to what??
In reply to herc182, 2 months ago

herc182 wrote:

Dear all

I wanted to start by saying I love the D700. I really don't want to move from it. However, I now have a 5 month old baby and she is heavy enough to carry about. I have the following kit which is why I am thinking of selling and moving to a mirrorless alternative:

D700

SB600 flash

Sigma 70-200 f2.8 (OS version)

Sigma 10-15

Nikon 50mm F1.8 (latest version)

Now what I am considering is one of the following:

Sony A7 (much smaller and lighter)

Fuji X-T1 (excellent camera but NOT full frame)

What is important to me is:

• less weight!
  • Good quality jpegs (rarely use raw conversion)
  • Quick auto focus (babies move a lot!)
  • Decent lenses (apparently I can use the NEX 10-18 on the sony which is a good WA alternative)
  • Video to a lesser degree
  • A good shooting experience (D700 controls are excellent but realise there may be some loss of functionality given the smaller cameras above)

What are your thoughts? I cannot afford to run both side by side so it will be a bit of a plunge!

Any other camera bodies I should consider?

Thanks

I have a love hate relationship with mirrorless cameras. I rated the Nex-5N, Oly E-M5, X-Pro1 (later FW). I disliked or found boring the Nex-7, E-PL5, XE-2 and X-T1. The Sony A7 is a good little camera, the Sony A7R is not.

I can't get away from concerns I have re mirrorless which are focus speed, shutter vibration and lag. I think they are good social cameras, I think they can make good lightweight landscape cameras, but for children or sport I think a DSLR is better. If I had one suggestion for you it would be to think about whether a D610 or Df would meet your needs. If you do get a mirrorless camera the A7 and E-M1 are good and the X-T1 is a decent camera, even if it isn't my cup of tea.

sgoldswo's gear list:sgoldswo's gear list
Leica M Typ 240 Olympus E-M1 Nikon Df Nikon D810
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow