Issue with Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 ex dc os hsm when using with D7100

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
richiebee
Senior MemberPosts: 1,110Gear list
Like?
Re: Issue with Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 ex dc os hsm when using with D7100
In reply to Nazif Hussain, 2 months ago

The only real problem is that your preview doesn't scroll like it should - that is when you're reviewing an image, you can't hold down the arrows to scroll across your image - it requires multiple button pushes instead. This is due to the OS staying on after taking a picture. I don't find this to be an issue.  It's OS implementation makes one feel that OS is always on regardless of switch position, but now that I've done lots of testing and had the benefit of other's experience, I am convinced that it does not stay on when switched off.

I bought this lens for my D7100.  If I had my time back, I wouldn't have.  I find its focusing to be much less reliable than my Nikon lenses, it's rarely as tack sharp as some people claim. I've thought about sending it in to Sigma several times...  might still do that.

As to whether you need it - if your kit lens isn't fast enough, you might find this to be a good option.  If you don't require a fast kit lens, I'd skip it and think about something else.

richiebee's gear list:richiebee's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow