ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
frankp
Contributing MemberPosts: 730
Like?
Comparing Macro Lenses
2 months ago

Hi,

I just gave my daughter my older Tamron 90mm Macro lens.  I went out and bought the newer version with VC.  The newer lens is built better, with lots of new technology.  However, when I setup my Nikon 7100, on a tripod with timed shutter release and tested both lenses it was apparent that the older version was sharper than the newer version.  It may have been the copy that I got so that is something to consider.  The older version was so much better that I'm returning the newer version of the lens.  I'm not sure if I should try another copy.  I read that about 2% of lenses that are sent out for sale need to be adjusted.  However, it may just be that the newer lens is not as sharp as the older version.

My other option is to buy a Sigma 105mm with OS.  I really wanted a lens that didn't screw out and that has some form of lens stabilization built in.  I do 65% of my macro photography handheld so I think this feature would really help.  I looked on Flickr and samples with the Sigma look great.  Any advice is appreciated.

-- hide signature --

Camera Body: Nikon 7100,
Lenses: Nikkor 18-300mm, Tamron 90mm, Nikkor 50mm, Tokina 12-24mm
Flash: SB800
Creative Impressions
Visit my gallery at: http://traderfjp.zenfolio.com/

Nikon D80
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow