Started 5 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Kris in CT
Senior MemberPosts: 1,630Gear list
Like?
After 2 months I am due for a review
5 months ago

I pre-ordered my Tamron the first day it was available on 12/23 and my Nikon mount arrived on 5/21. I have been using the lens almost every day and their is a lot to love about this lens.

First off this is not a 500 or 600mm prime so anyone comparing it to one should have a check up! On a D7100 AF is pleasantly quick and tracks birds in flight very well.. I consider it very light compared to my Sigma 120-300 F2.8. If you are not used to a big super zoom you might consider it heavy. I only shoot handheld and often shoot for 12 hours at a clip.

Fit and finish is good for a lens at this price point. The Plastic hood is adequate but not heavy duty, which is fine as it does it job. I have shot quite a bit with the Sigma 150-500 and the Tamron is sharper at 600mm wide open than the Sigma is at 500mm F6.3. VC is relatively quick to engage and works well, but does not stabilize the viewfinder as much as some other VC/OS units.. Accepatable results can be had as low as 1/100th, but I try to keep it at 1/250th+ to avoid motion blur of the subject.

Sharpness is an issue that has been debated quite a bit about this lens, but I find it acceptable at 600mm wide open..

3 wide open samples

Tamron has this lens listed at 1:5 but it actually closer to 1:4.2 so it does allow some close critter work also..

I have found the lens to be very versatile and a joy to shoot with. I needed a touch of fine tune to sharpen it up. +2 works well with my specific combo.

overall I would recommend this to anyone looking for their first long lens. If you have ample money and are a pixel peeper than you can spend a lot more money for a slight to moderate increase in sharpness and micro-contrast. This lens offers a lot of bang for the buck..

Here is a set with some of my favorites so far.. https://www.flickr.com/photos/coastalconn/sets/72157645413231013/

Of course there are several hundred more on my flickr page link below in my signature..

Kris in CT's gear list:Kris in CT's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +4 more
Kris in CT's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow