Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Great Bustard
Forum ProPosts: 25,543
Like?
Lens Speed
9 months ago

Aside from DOF and noise, is there any other reason that anyone cares about lens speed? I asked this question just recently, and the answer was "Exposure Values. You might learn, if you tried, may be."

Well, I'd like to learn, so I'm going to try. Why would I care about lens speed with regards to exposure values except inasmuch as they applied to DOF and noise?

I would like to nip one possibility in the bud first, however. The other reason some may care about lens speed is AF. However, so long as the lens is not so slow as to not be able to AF at all, I put forth that lens speed plays a rather minor role in AF, f/2.8 AF sensors notwithstanding. Here's an interesting thread on that point:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/34970402

In short, differences in the lenses themselves (aside from the speed of the lens), as well as differences in the AF systems on different cameras, matter are, by far, than the speed of the lens in terms of AF, so long as the lens is not so slow that it cannot AF.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow