Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Timj351
Senior MemberPosts: 2,400
Like?
B&W experiment with LX7
5 months ago

I have always enjoyed B&W photography and artwork because I like the emphasis that is put on the shapes, lines and graphic nature of the images. The majority of my images are in color but I feel that often times color can distract from the image so over the years I have experimented by converting a lot of them into B&W with varying results. I have always started from a color image and then I choose a method of converting the image to B&W using one of several programs and plug ins that I have collected on my computer.

I am actually quite happy with many of my images after the conversions but since they often require different treatments to achieve the look I want there ends up being a lot of variation among my images. The idea of starting with a color image is sensible because you have more information to work with but I believe I have been missing many B&W photo opportunities because I'm still viewing the images in color through my cameras.

I might have a solution to this by using the Dynamic Monochrome setting in the art filters mode and setting the camera up for raw + JPG. It's mainly going to be with my LX7 but I will experiment with this on my FZ200 as well. I really like the look of Dynamic Monochrome and the mode also gives you the ability to adjust aperture, exposure and contrast which is all I really need. This should be a fun experiment and I believe that by viewing the world this way through B&W I will see more patterns and designs that should translate into better B&W and color images. Of course I will still have my own two eyes to view things in color plus I will also have the raw files for further develop of the image anyway I want.

Basically I'm looking for a purer form of taking B&W photos in a way that let's me see them more accurately at the time of capture and I think this solution can give me that plus the option to process the raw files like I currently do.

I thought I would see if anyone thinks this is crazy or if anyone works in a similar way, maybe for street photography or some other style. I've attached a few shots taken around my apartment for the fun of it. They're nothing special but they show what I'm getting at with the Dynamic Monochrome setting straight from the camera. It's a pretty fun way to shoot and I ended up with a few shots I would have missed by only seeing them in color. For example, the shot with the pastels, I would have just assumed they would look best in color but after comparing the B&W with a color version I prefer the B&W better. When I get an opportunity I'm going to try some street style shooting in this way. It should be interesting.

Another reason I am posting this is that even with a brand new super duper LX camera on the horizon I think the LX7 still rocks!

-Tim

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow