ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JNR
JNR
Senior MemberPosts: 1,809Gear list
Like?
Lens line-up options
3 months ago

I'm a Pentax guy, and I'm helping a retirement age friend with advancing arthritis with the decision how to go light, transitioning from Nikon. Specifically, the D300s and 18-300 as a main lens. (I don't have arthritis, but I'd be wanting to go lighter, as well!). A lot of her higher priorities are travel, including wildlife. She would like to shoot birds, but has found her current set up doesn't allow for that shooting handheld (what a surprise). She is intermediate in capability, and rather brand conscious...

She probably should be looking at the E-M1 or E-M10, depending on how they feel in hand, and/or her desire for on-board flash (she has an external flash but doesn't use it much, as far as I can tell). I don't think the difference in image quality is great, although clearly ISIS is better on the E-M1 and should be considered given her physical condition. Not sure how well it helps past about 400mm equivalence...

I'm quite sure that the 75-300 is a great lens choice for her - given the need for light weight; so what if she has to drop down to 800 ISO to get a good shot - it will be pretty good if she can nail the focus. Coming from Pentax, I just assume that there must be an auto-sensitivity setting (Tav) in Olympus - but don't know...

She likes her macro lens (I would think so, comparing it to that 18-300). I am thinking that she could go with the 60mm macro, and the kit lens could be the 14-42 (how marginal is it, really?), or the fine 12-40. It seems apparent that Olympus is pretty weak in the portrait range - especially for zooms as the 40-150 appears to be less than ideal IQ. Perhaps the 60mm will be enough of a bridge between the kit and tele-zoom. I thought Olympus would have addressed this problem on what's now a pretty mature mount system - especially so with the strong competition coming from Fuji.

Panasonic and legacy 4/3rds are not options - they really aren't properly compatible, and wasted weight is not a good idea given her physical limitations.

So, I'm mostly interested in hearing about the lens options listed regarding the kit and intermediate lens length(s). Thanks for sharing your actual experiences.

-- hide signature --

JNR
www.jamesrobins.com

JNR's gear list:JNR's gear list
Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 IF ED MC Pentax K-01 Pentax K-30 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +1 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow