Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
GadgetNeil
Regular MemberPosts: 168Gear list
Like?
Question about switching Aperture to Lightroom via relocation originals
3 months ago

I know this issue has been discussed to death here and on many websites - I am not looking for general advice, as I have already subscribed to Adobe photography CC and I have started using Lightroom for all new photos I take.  My question is a specific one about the switching process:

I have up to now had all my photos as managed photos in Aperture's library.  So, I am in the process of changing all the originals to referenced (using the command File - Relocate Originals).  I am putting all these originals in one folder within my pictures folder of my Macbook's hard drive.  However, the macbook's drive is almost full, and the Aperture library takes up over 300 GB.  So, I want to move my Aperture library to an external drive, and if I want to use Aperture in the future, I will then just open Aperture via the external drive's library.  Once I move my Aperture library from the macbook to the external drive, I will delete the library still on the macbook's drive, and then I would like to move the entire folder with my now referenced originals to the external drive as well.    So, my question is, will that mess up Aperture when I open it in the future?  In other words, is it like Lightroom, where it won't know where photos are if I manually move them around to different locations

I understand that if I want to move photos around on my hardrive, it is best to do it within Lightroom, in the Library module, otherwise if I just do it in Finder then Lightroom won't know where to find the folders.  So, what will happen if I change all my photos in Aperture to referenced (instead of managed) and then I move all these photos from one location (on my macbook) to an external drive?  Will Aperture still know where to find them?

GadgetNeil's gear list:GadgetNeil's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 APO DG Macro
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow