Micro Four Thirds Focal Reducer Shootout

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
MichailK
New MemberPosts: 10
Like?
Re: Micro Four Thirds Focal Reducer Shootout
In reply to brian, 5 months ago

I believe no one with a right mind can argue that the results posted by Mr. Brian Caldwell about the best of these 4 special adapters fail to show which is the best performing part of the bunch, by far.-

However, a guy like me who struggled to acquire a modest E-PL5 and shoots for the fun of it on loaned old Nikon glass can take a second best in sharpness part as this is what my wallet dictates at the time and again, just barely... (Of course if I could afford the best adapter I would go for it - why degrade a fine Ai-S '80s lens besides cost reasons?)

So, I want to ask everyone using these adapters if in real life use the results of the second test (Hotspotting) are a deal breaker - we are talking about solid white back illuminating frame and solid black center rectangle which is an extreme case - isn't it? In a "normal" lit scene it should be no real fuss unless nitpicking I suppose but what do you guys using such adapters say?

I also want to ask Mr. Brian Caldwell what exposure settings were set up in the Hotspotting test and verify that they were kept exactly the same between shots (I am sure that a serious guy would never make such a mistake as leaving the camera in auto exposure but I would prefer to ask just in case - hope I am not insulting!). Looking at the jpeg it seems that the white part around the black square is exposed to 100% so less exposure could push the hotspot well into the shadows to be any problem in real life shooting for the parts exhibiting such a fantom image.

By the way, I want to ask for forgiveness from Mr.Caldwell for drooling over pictures of his beautiful brainchild

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow