Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Great Bustard
Forum ProPosts: 24,681
Like?
Re: Understanding ISO
In reply to bobn2, 5 months ago

bobn2 wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

I agree that the theory must correspond to reality. However, as I said, banding is a separate issue from read noise. So, taking banding out of the equation, what is bad about read noise that is not also bad about photon noise?

That much is quite straight forward. Photon noise is less as the signal is less, while read noise is there whatever the signal level. So, with zero read noise a sensor has an infinite dynamic range, whatever the signal level. That dynamic range applies even if the signal level is very low (very low exposures). However, the result of very low exposures is that the brighter parts will still appear noisy, even if the darker parts have no noise (with in between parts having in between noise). Essentially it's like printing the image through a random texture mask, which is not unattractive. Read noise adds a layer of random grey (or worse, mixed colours) over that, which messes up the shadows and leads to a very low SNR.

Yes!  That's exactly what I was trying to say when I said read noise represents a kind of noise floor and my analogy to the CMB.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow