Why is no one making inexpensive super telephoto primes ?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
p5freak
Senior MemberPosts: 2,214
Like?
Why is no one making inexpensive super telephoto primes ?
5 months ago

There are some quite inexpensive super telephoto zoom lenses, like the Sigma 150-500, Tamron 150-600, etc., price is about 1000 USD or EUR. While those arent bad, they arent very good either. Prime lenses usually are better than zooms, if the price is about the same. So, a 5,6/500 for 1000 should be better than a 150-500 zoom for 1000. But no one makes one for that price, why not ?

If you want something better you have to donate an organ to pay for a Canon or Nikon prime lens which is much, much more expensive. I know that those are the best option available, but they are also the most expensive. In addition those lenses are large and heavy. There is no 5,6/500 or 5,6/600, which would be (a lot) less expensive, smaller and lighter. I know you could buy a 2,8/300 and attach a x2 extender to it, but it wouldnt be as sharp as a native 5,6/600 lens. And the price of that combo is also ~8k for Canon.

There is a huge price gap (~9k for Canon, and ~6k for Nikon) between a 150-500 zoom lens and a Canon or Nikon 4/500 prime lens. Nothing exists in between. Why not ? I know there are some alternatives at 400mm (like the Canon 5,6/400L), but i mean 500mm+ only.

-- hide signature --

Stupid is as stupid does - Forrest Gump

Leica X2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow