"Your camera is too honest!" (read: unflattering)

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
OrdinarilyInordinate
Regular MemberPosts: 499Gear list
Like?
"Your camera is too honest!" (read: unflattering)
3 months ago

Just sent some photographs of a family gathering to my mother and my grandmother, who is visiting with her. My mother's reaction?

"Your camera is too honest! You can see all the wrinkles. My old camera is not as good (read: grainy and low resolution) but it is more flattering. Your grandmother is not saying anything, but I can tell she's upset too".

Strong disappointment and accusation in her voice. I say: "do you prefer that I tweak every photo and erase all the wrinkles by hand for our family photos so you can look 15 years younger?". She says: "no, of course not", but also that she supposedly doesn't look that way when she sees herself in her bathroom mirror. I try to explain that bathrooms have certain flattering lighting, and plus she can't see herself from the outside, but it's a lost cause.

I spend half an hour in Photoshop, purposefully removing every wrinkle and blurring liberally and forward the results, having resolved to not take any more photos of her or my grandmother :). The irony is that she's the one who always wants More family photos, posing people right in front of the camera, blocking a picturesque cathedral behind it.

It's interesting how the digital age is now both a huge improvement to some and a huge disappointment to others. I'm just glad that the camera I am going to gift her soon is a lot more ''flattering and forgiving'' (read: no prime lens, smaller sensor, worse resolution and worse at high ISO).

OrdinarilyInordinate's gear list:OrdinarilyInordinate's gear list
Samsung NX300M Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +2 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow