Flat view
digital ed
Senior MemberPosts: 2,951Gear list
Like?
D810 Observations: Focusing & Shutter Speed
3 months ago

Equipment: D810, Nikkor 24-70 f/2.8G, Sturdy tripod

Shutter Speed:

My experience is I cannot get the ultimate photo sharpness hand holding the D810 with the 24-70 at 70 with less than 1/500 sec unless mounted on a tripod (comparative testing). This may be me but if you are saying you can hand hold at 1/50 and get acceptable photos I can accept that. But if you are striving for the best the camera and lens can do, I believe you do not know what the best can be.

Focus:

This is my experience checking PDAF vs. CDAF and manual CDAF. Zero fine focus is needed to achieve with PDAF the best focus that can be achieved for the camera/lens best. This is qualified by using the greatly improved LV screen zoomed with manual and CDAF using the 24-70 at f/2.8 and 70mm. I do see a slight bit of focus point shift when shooting multiple shots with the same setup and de-focusing between shots. Not enough at f/2.8 to concern me as it rarely occurs. It may be important for those that shoot PDAF at wider apertures. Then it might be necessary to shoot LV with manual or CDAF. The new LV display really helps here.

Let me emphasize again, this is a sampling of one and is only my experience after a couple of days of testing (only real life subjects, no printed targets). I haven't yet tested using the Mup and the electronic front curtain shutter.

-- hide signature --

"There is a little of not done yet in all of us."
John Madden, football coach

digital ed's gear list:digital ed's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D810 +14 more
Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow