Veteran MemberPosts: 6,637
Like?
You are missing the point.....
In reply to Kaj E, 3 months ago

Kaj E wrote:

Petruska wrote:

Kaj E wrote:

manhattan wrote:

With the exception of wedding, commercial and senior portraits I think with the exception of the occasional photograph that print is dead. People are much more interested in simply sharing for a moment on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc. They are not interested in the extreme quality that a D810/5D can produce as long as the photo captures them in an exceptional location, pose or group setting. There are exceptions of course, but really makes you wonder what the future of photography is? We already have seen phones basically destroy the low end point and shoot market. People are happy with less and showing they are simply not interested in paying for more.

I have been thinking about upgrading to a new D810 for several reasons, but wonder if the only person who will really appreciate any improvements will be me. I seriously don't think others will either notice or appreciate.

Maybe this is our "CD Moment"? Just like when the obvious quality in vinyl records was replaced by cheap and inferior sounding CDs. Digital makes it easy, light, portable and shareable. Hmmm.

You could not be more wrong. True photography still flourishes in prints and always will. Only the print can truly express what the photographer intended. Some sort of print will always be what is shown in galleries and sold as art. Only in the print can the colors and tones and detail be expressed as the photographer intended and exactly the size that was intended.

The snapshots with inaccurate color and tone shared on digital media fulfill a social function but do not reach the artistic merits of a great print.

I have never seen an image truly come to life like it does in a great print. Look close at original prints by the photography masters and you will understand. For instance original prints by Karsh of Churchill and Shaw will take your breath away.

-- hide signature --

Kind regards
Kaj
http://www.pbase.com/kaj_e
WSSA member #13
It's about time we started to take photography seriously and treat it as a hobby.- Elliott Erwitt

about artistic merits of a great print just as they also don't care about music fidelity, this is their world now and that is just how it is going to be.......all smart phone related!!!

The major photography world problem in the last few years is tremendous photo overload. Thus what was a wow a few years ago, is now just nice but who cares.

Bob P.

You must not have been in art galleries and museums with photo exhibits lately. Most of the photographers I know view photography as an artform. This is perhaps not the view of the great majority of people who are just interested of sharing snapshots of the kids and cats.

It's like the difference between pop tunes and great classical music.

Try to convince Alexander Gursky who sold his print Rhein II for 2.7 million pounds sterling (about USD 4.3 Million at the time) that print is dead.

-- hide signature --

Kind regards
Kaj
http://www.pbase.com/kaj_e
WSSA member #13
It's about time we started to take photography seriously and treat it as a hobby.- Elliott Erwitt

Yes there are people that appreciate a great photo, but that is probably less than 0.1% of the world's population.  Canon and Epson sell printers to make money, their target consumers are young people and those recent sales don't look good.  Nikon recently announced that is  pouring a ton of money into thier medical sector, including medical company aquisitions, they are really hurting in the photo sector and it ain't gonna get better.....

Bob P.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow