Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
phrenzy
Regular MemberPosts: 204Gear list
Like?
focus confirm chips, exif data and manual input
5 months ago

I recently got a 50mm f1.4 focus confirm chip, om to 4/3, adapter to use with my favorite glass (I'm pretty sure you can guess what type of lens it could be).

Anyhow, my limited understanding is that all the focus confirm chip does is give the camera the EXIF info for the lens, in this case that there is a 50mm f1.4 attached, so the camera can do all the calculations to figure out when something is in focus.

If this is right, wouldn't it be a fairly easy thing for cameras to include an option for manually entering lens specifications into the camera so that you could have focus confirm for any MF/adapted lens you like without a special chipped adapter for each one (if you can even find one for the Krebs you want)?

In my e-m1 there is an option to enter focal length manually for the IBIS (image stabilization) for lenses with no electrical/data connection to the camera. Why couldn't you do this with the addition of aperture stop to get focus confirmation?

I feel like I must be missing something since this should be fairly easy if that's all it takes, maybe it could even be added to some cameras with a firmware update.

Maybe some cameras already do this? Or there is some major technical reason I'm not getting that this wouldn't work that I'm not getting?

I'd like to know what the focus confirm chips do in addition to this if it is more than just providing that info that could be manually input.

It would really only useful with primes, but theres so many great fast manual primes out there it seems like a worthwhile idea to me.

If you see this on cameras next year, remember you heard it here first!  

phrenzy's gear list:phrenzy's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3 Olympus E-410 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-520 +13 more
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow