Suggestions for camera/lens combo for Italy

Started 5 months ago | Questions thread
Alphoid
Senior MemberPosts: 2,757
Like?
Re: Suggestions for camera/lens combo for Italy
In reply to darklamp, 5 months ago

Well, the problem is, as much as we'd like to deny it, it's true. While investment in self almost always has greater pay-offs than investment in equipment, but the gains from a better camera for an expert are about the same as they are for a beginner.

"Better" has different meanings for a beginner and an expert -- a beginner will want good automatic modes, while an expert will want good manual controls. Many dSLRs have horrific automatic modes relative to their point-and-shoot, cell, and mirrorless counterparts. I would not recommend a 6D with a Zeiss manual focus f/1.4 lens to a rank beginner (which OP was not). Likewise, I would not recommend a fully automatic gizmo to a pro.

However, the fundamentals -- better sensor, better glass, etc., we all benefit from more-or-less equally.

Now, I agree that an expert with a point-and-shoot will generally take better photos than a beginner with a $4000 full frame with nice glass, but the difference between:

• An expert with an iPhone camera vs. an expert A7 with Zeiss 24-70mm f/4 lens
  • A newbie with an iPhone vs. a newbie with an A7+Zeiss 24-70mm f/4 lens

Will be about the same. Indeed, in some cases, the difference for the beginner will be greater, since the expert will be better able to find ways to overcome the limitations of the iPhone. In poor lighting, the photos from the A7 will come out okay, while from the iPhone, they'll be blurry. The expert will know ways to either improve lighting, stabilize the camera, use flash appropriately, etc. The beginner won't.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
OohNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow