ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Howard
Senior MemberPosts: 1,407Gear list
Like?
Torn, very torn (7D or not)
2 months ago

Ok, it has finally come to this point.

I am about the embark on a whale watching/pelagic birding tour next month. Problem is that my main wildlife camera, the 50D, has recently developed Err 30. It seems to happen more and more often now -- sometimes once every 3-5 clicks -- to the point that I just can't trust it for precious moments anymore (which I am sure will happen on a pelagic tour).

My other camera is the 5DII, which has very slow AF.

In a perfect world, I would buy the 7D II (or whatever it is) to upgrade my 50D. But, certainly I will get it before my trip.

Now, what are my options? I think I have the following:

1. Buy a 7D (I see that they are being dumped now for as low as $900 new) for the trip, and sell it before upgrading to the 7DII. I am a little hesitant with this option, as I generally do not like the idea of buying a camera and use it very minimally before getting rid of it (I use all my cameras for years), besides, I will incur a loss.

2. Upgrade my 5DII to the 5DIII now as the latter has better AF. I am also a bit hesitant with this option as I generally skip a generation when upgrading my cameras (e.g. from 5DII -> 5DIV or whatever it will be), and the 5DIII is near the end of its lifecycle, I think, and besides the AF I see very little advantage over my 5DII.

3. Get a cheap Rebel, e.g. T5i or T4i for now, and use that as a backup body later, or give it away as a gift to a relative or something.

What do you suggest the best option would be?

-- hide signature --

Howard
cameras: 5DII, 50D, D60, Rebel 2000 (film)
lenses: 17-40 f/4 USM L, 24-105 f/4 USM L, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 IS USM L, 24 f/3.5 TSE L, 35 f/2, 50 f/1.4 USM, 100 f/2.8 IS USM Macro L, 300 f/2.8 IS USM II, 430 EX II, 270 EX II, EF 1.4x TC III, EF 2x TC III, Kenko Pro 300 1.4x TC
personal website: http://www.travelerathome.com
blog: http://travelerathome.wordpress.com

Howard's gear list:Howard's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 50D Canon EF 35mm f/2.0 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM +5 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow