Lightroom 5.5 and GX7 RAWs

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
TN Args
Regular MemberPosts: 384Gear list
Like?
Re: Lightroom 5.5 and GX7 RAWs
In reply to brentbrent, 5 months ago

brentbrent wrote: The screenshots below were of the jpg and raw versions of the same photo with no processing in LR, and I've copied the LR histogram for each.

The two histograms are telling me that the raw image is not darker at all. Rather, it is more dynamic. The brightest parts of it are actually brighter than the brightest parts of the JPEG. For example, boosting both images by one stop in LR and examining the highlights clipping will show far more clipping for the raw image than for the JPEG image. This would not happen if the raw image was actually a darker image.

So I conclude that the in camera processing of the JPEG is reducing its dynamics. There are many settings in the camera that could affect the JPEG, including the photo styles for a start.

-- hide signature --

call me Arg

TN Args's gear list:TN Args's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow