Wide angle lens + ~APC-S-sized sensor for real estate photography?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
OrdinarilyInordinate
Contributing MemberPosts: 647Gear list
Like?
Wide angle lens + ~APC-S-sized sensor for real estate photography?
4 months ago

I'm gathering information for a relative who wants a camera upgrade for his house renovation and real estate business. He wants a wide angle lens of some sort (and a camera to go with it)--the more interior visible on a photograph, the better--but of course not to the extent of distorted fish eye.

I also told him that he should be better served by a larger sensor, as he will be taking indoor photographs, where lighting is usually suboptimal. Not only indoor, but indoor included. I told him that he can get a cheaper body of some sort (like a last generation Sony NEX-6 or a refurbished Nikon DSLR) and invest in a lens, because fast wide angle lenses are going to cost a fair amount. Is that a good evaluation?

Does anyone here do real estate photography and have recommendations? I'm not sure if there are good Sony E-mount wide angle lenses available, for example. Maybe it's best to go for something like my camera (Nikon D5200) with a Nikkor lens (I would also say 3rd party, but I don't think he's going to be doing much post-processing to do lens distortion correction, so best to go with the same brand for lens and body for in-camera corrections and JPEG outputs).

Thank you.

OrdinarilyInordinate's gear list:OrdinarilyInordinate's gear list
Samsung NX300M Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +3 more
Nikon D5200 Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow