Canon EOS 5D Mark III: Is there any disadvantage?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
qianp2k
Forum ProPosts: 10,350Gear list
Like?
Re: Canon EOS 5D Mark III: Is there any disadvantage?
In reply to bhollis, 5 months ago

bhollis wrote:

Keith Z Leonard wrote:

No, what I mean is LCD viewfinder, which is what I said, though I can see the confusion, it's LCD overlay, the 5d3 and 1dx both have LCD overlay viewfinders just like the 7D, which is what was being discussed.

http://m.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2013/eos1dx_intelligent_viewfinder_display.mshtml

And the primary criticism of the LCD overlay is that it doesn't provide illuminated AF points for low-light shooting.

Hasn't been much of a problem for me, but some folks have complained bitterly about it. A partial firmware fix was provided for the 1DX, but so far nothing for the 5D3.

I expect this will be rectified in the 5D4.

Also it displays AF points in black not red color in AI-servo mode. It's unable to toggle with 5x/10x magnification directly in OVF where EVF has significant advantage in such areas such as in MF lenses. I'd like future Canon DSLRs support hybrid VF with an EVF that can be inserted into the hotshoe for example.

qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow