Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
HappyTailz
Forum MemberPosts: 90Gear list
Like?
Suggestions for camera/lens combo for Italy
2 months ago

I am going to Italy in 6 weeks and could use some suggestions as to which lens and/or camera would help me produce some great pictures.

I am an intermediate photographer and usually shoot wildlife/nature, but have recently discovered the awe and joy of street photography and architectural buildings, etc.

I have the Canon T2i, the kit 18-55, and a 24-105. I have found that the 24-105 does not give me a wide enough angle for many pictures, and oftentimes I cannot move far enough back to get all that I want in the shot. The kit lens is decent, but does have some significant chromatic aberration and some vignetting (most of which can be remedied in LR5).

The T2i tends to overexpose shots in the evaluative metering mode, plus any shots with IOS400 (or more) are horribly grainy. Shooting in RAW produces about 3 fps. I am hoping to upgrade to sometime better in 5-6 months.

I'm wondering if I should consider renting the 6D for the trip (of course I'd try it out beforehand), and bring my 24-105, plus maybe rent a mid-range lens, such as the 70-200/300.

Or, should I take my T2i, rent a better wide angle lens (such as the 15-85) and a mid-range lens. I don't mind changing lenses, but I don't want to do it four or five times a day.

And, finally --- I know that on a crop camera the 24-105 is about 39-168. if I rent a FF, will the 24-105 actually be a 24-105 lens?

Feel free to offer other suggestions as to what combo to take.  I do not want to take more than two lenses, though.

HappyTailz's gear list:HappyTailz's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Sigma 50mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Sigma 1.4x EX DG Tele Converter Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II +1 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 550D (EOS Rebel T2i / EOS Kiss X4) Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
OohNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow