Nikon fit Tamron 150-600VC birds

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
dwa1
Senior MemberPosts: 2,363
Like?
Thanks for your efforts Brandon.
In reply to Brandon birder, 2 months ago

Brandon birder wrote:

It's all been a bit of a rush since Bempton having gone on two holidays. Got round to evaluating my Tamron images and have come to the conclusion that the tamron has less acuity of fine feather detail at 600mm and f8 than the 80-400 at 400mm and f 5.6 for the distances I usually shoot at. The AF acquisition for birds in flight is slower too. So I have sold my Tamron.

For those wanting an 80-400 but not the price the Tamron is an excellent lens though for me the Nikkor is worth the extra. Also the Tamron does not work with N1 cameras at the present time.

Brandon,

Thanks so much for all of your efforts (time, skills and $$) in testing out the Tamron against the other birding lenses. Threads like this one is where many photogs look for the findings of experienced birders / photogs.

I do have one question for you... With regard to the AF sensor (single point) being able to pick out that "bird among the branches", how much did the extra 200mm of FL come into play 80-400 vs. 150-600? It's one thing to be able to crop from 400mm but another thing to have  enough FL to put the AF sensor on the subject only (and not the branches). I realize that this may vary for FX to DX and even the AF system "version". For this question, perhaps consider the D7100 AF system.

Based on a few threads on the N1 forum, it looks like the new CX 70-300 VR has IQ "similar" to the 80-400g. That's a lot of "N1 reach" for sure. The total price of a V3 and CX 70-300 VR is fairly close to the cost of a 80-400g. The main thing here is the low light / high-ISO performance.

I wish that Nikon would upgrade the IQ of their current 70-300 VR lens (even if they had to increase the price). The hi-res sensors like the D7100 provide a great deal of cropping reach and a 70-300 lens with better IQ at 300mm would get us some "decent" reach with good IQ.

fwiw... For next year's birding lens, I am currently leaning more toward the Nikon 300 f4 and 1.4xTC instead of the Tamron 150-600 VC. I shoot with 2 bodies anyway (D7100 and D300) so the lack of a zoom may not be a problem - not sure though until I have some "real time field experience".

Thanks again for your work and for reporting your findings.

Wayne

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow