Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
JMckenna
Senior MemberPosts: 1,475
Like?
C in Cnet stands for Crapware
3 months ago

I bought the wife a new computer from Newegg, nothing fancy, an HP Pro 3500 Core i3 (3.4GHz). Came pre-loaded with Windows 7 Professional 64-bit. Got it running just fine, installed Avira and all 109 Windows updates.

OK, so the computer is 2 days old. 2 of our grandsons are visiting us for a couple of weeks, the youngest one was doing something or other and a video wouldn't play. A message came up (pop-up blocker was turned off) saying he had to download Firefox to play the darn video. He clicked on "click here" and firefox was downloaded from Cnet. My wife called me in to say the computer had frozen up, and when I restarted it, there was 8 new crapware shortcuts on the desktop, everything from registry cleaners to games to God knows what.

I uninstalled all of that stuff and when I came to the last one, when I clicked to uninstall, a message came up that my Avira was just uninstalled. I soon realized it wasn't, but that program did uninstall. Finished up with a System Restore and everything is back to brand new; I checked the registry and it looks clean and the computer's running great again.

OK, there may be some valuable (?) information on Cnet, but how can they continue this disgusting practice of adding crapware?
And going forward, my grandson will NEVER download anything on any of our computers without my OK.

James

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow