EinsteinsGhost
Forum ProPosts: 11,337Gear list
Like?
Re: "fast" is relative
In reply to bobn2, 3 months ago

bobn2 wrote:

EinsteinsGhost wrote:

bobn2 wrote:

Fine. That's what I said too. What determines how fast a shutter speed?

"Sensitivity" of the media, scene brightness and aperture. Nothing to do with media size.

That's a strangely abstract way of determining your shutter speed. Do you have a table of available shutter speed against media, scene brightness and aperture? As I remember, my camera allows me to set 1/8000 for any scene brightness, 'sensitivity' and aperture, why should I not?

Glad that you have a camera you know how to turn dials of. Now, let us try something more with it. For that matter, let us use one of your images with EXIF:

So, why did your camera, or you, choose 1/250s, f/4.5 at ISO 100? Your response will help you get my point, on why you can't just turn the dial to 1/8000s just because you happen to have it.

That was my original post. With high ISO do we need lenses with larger apertures just to allow more light when high ISO can achieve it for you with lesser light.

The only thing 'ISO' achieves is applying a given exposure to brightness function so that the image taken with your chosen exposure looks right at the end.

Which is the point of exposure, to achieve a specific brightness level.

But, you can achieve that specific brightness level with a different exposure just by setting the ISO differently. Does that make exposure pointless?

Yes, you can. In fact, I recall that being a major issue with a collective that I've often argued against.

But, since you seem to believe that you can't take ISO out of the equation when considering exposure, would you prefer lowest possible ISO if you can use it? Or, does it not matter?

-- hide signature --

Bob

EinsteinsGhost's gear list:EinsteinsGhost's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony SLT-A55 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF +12 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow