ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
pkelecy
New MemberPosts: 24
Like?
Advance P&S or micro 4/3?
2 months ago

Hi All,

I'm going to be taking a trip to the Badlands, Yellowstone, Tetons, and then another to NYC in the fall, and I plan to buy a new camera to capture these events.  I want to get a good camera, one that works well in lower light situations (early morning or evening shots), as well as the usual daytime scenery, wildlife, people photos.  I also want one that does good video, so I can leave my camcorder behind (maybe retire it all together).

So I've been researching the options, particularly better "enthusiast" level P&S cameras with larger sensors (eg Canon G15/16, Canon G1X ii, Sony RX100 ii) along with some bridge/zoom models (Sony RX10, Panazonic FZ200).  But at those price levels ($500-$1000) I could also go micro 4/3, with potentially better IQ and more versatility.  But this raises a few questions:

1.  Would l be able to get good images from an m43 camera without a lot of photography know how?  I've only had P&S cameras, so this would be my first "serious" camera.  I don't know much about photography (yet), but would like to learn more (I have a few books I've pick up).  But on this first trip I will be relying on the camera to do a lot of it for me.

2.  Would an m43 camera with, say, a 14-42mm kit lens be sufficient for travel, or would I need to add more lenses to really capture the range of shots I might want to take?  If other lenses would help, which ones?  I would like to keep the total outlay < $1000.  So if other lenses are needed, this may not work.  One nice thing about the new P&S cameras is that they pack of lot of capability (especially wide focal ranges) in a small package.

3.  When I'm out sight-seeing I normally wear a fanny pack that I keep my camera and other stuff in.   It's very convenient, and I like it better than a backpack.  The pouch is fairly large, but I'm wondering how well it would work with an m43 camera + lens(s).  Any thoughts?

4.  Right now I'm currently leaning towards a Panasonic GX7 with the 14-42mm kit lens.  It appears to have all the features I want (reasonably small "rangefinder" styling, good IQ, good video, IBIS, touchscreen, wifi, sweep panoramas).  But it's also pretty expensive (~$850) and may be overkill for my purposes?  Are there any other model with similar features I should look at?

Thanks for any feedback on these.  I appreciate the help!

Pat

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow