Is this the year Pentax makes or breaks your FF dream?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
Alex Sarbu
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,599Gear list
Like?
Re: What Rod said Mark
In reply to cgarrard, 3 months ago

cgarrard wrote:

Rod McD wrote:

Mark Ransom wrote:

It's not discussed because everyone knows it's impossible.

Pentax already makes the smallest and cheapest MF. What kind of magic do you think they're hiding that would bring it to FF levels?

Hi Mark,

It's impossible as a DSLR but feasible as a mirror-less. And the bigger the format the greater the saving by not having a mirror and prism. It keeps coming up as conjecture over in the Fuji Forum, but hasn't even got as far as a rumor.

It would be good to have a MILC option in the medium format world, I guess. I'm not sure if that should be a Pentax... would the customers accept that?

I think the source is a secret harking back to the days when Fuji made the world's smallest medium format cameras - their 645 RFs. The whole genre of lightweight medium format cameras (like the Fuji 645's & 6X9s, the Plaubel Makinas and the Mamyia 6 & 7 etc) have all gone and have never been replaced in the digital world. They were brilliant for those who needed both light weight and high resolution, but they were a niche in film and would be a niche in digital. I doubt we'll ever see one because the market would be so small. But never say never - a lot of people said that about FF mirror-less too.......

Rod

I concur.

Leica's S2 is smaller than the 645D/Z as well.

Actually it's only shorter.

Have vision, open your mind Mark

"Open your mind" also means to accept that whatever's hyped up these days might not be a panacea. Perhaps the good & old technologies are still the best, for many

Alex

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow