Started 5 months ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
changas2188
Regular MemberPosts: 202
Like?
My thoughts on travelling around the world with just an X100s. Pics
5 months ago

I've had this five week holiday around Canada and Europe booked for about 4 months now and basically bought the x100s just so I could take one camera and one lens with me on my five week holiday and not get caught up with gear and what Lens to take etc etc.

this is the first time I've done such a thing, taking only one camera and lens. My first 'travel camera' 4 years ago was my Nikon D3s with 24-70 and 50mm. That was later replaced with my sony nex 5n with 16mm, 18-55 and 35. I loved the 5n, brilliant camera capable of doing nearly everything I wanted. Loved it for its portability, small size and light weight, but it didn't reproduce colours and skin tones very well when shooting JPEG (subjective).

The 5n is a perfect travel camera, don't get me wrong, but like all interchangeable lensed cameras, we always find ourselves changing lenses to get the right angle or view for that perfect shot. Sure, some of you are super disciplined and able to travel around the world with just one lens on your DSLR; unfortunately I am not. When I travelled japan a few years ago with the 5n, I found myself changing lenses too often, missing the shot I wanted because I was too lazy to walk in a bit closer or take a few steps back.

Here's where the x100s comes to the party and really shines, even if I wanted to change lenses, I can't. It's made me more disciplined in shooting and I've started to get used to the 35mm FOV and find myself able to imagine the shot and framing in my head before I take the shot, which is very helpful.

I could probably add photos all day but I better stop. So far I've only been to Canada, not once have I ever wished I had a wider or longer lens. Canada is pretty spacious, so that might be a factor for not wanting or needing a wider lens. Yet. I'll be heading off to Europe in a couple of days, so it'll be certainly very interesting to see how only having one lens will make me shoot in the narrow and cramped streets in Europe.

Lastly, I've been shooting JPEG, M Fine + Raw, but have been editing all my photos on iPad with Snapseed. I haven't even touched the Raw files, but am damn impressed with the jpegs so far. Might not even need the raw files. We'll see. Anyway, sorry it's a bit long, but I'll add some more photos in a few weeks when I'm in Europe.

Hope this helps with a anyone considering just taking an X100s overseas.

Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Fujifilm X100S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow