Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Paul Farace
Contributing MemberPosts: 730Gear list
Like?
Flash diffusers for free!
3 months ago

Why spend money on plastic bowls and cups costing $20 and up to $100 to modify your flash output when you can make highly effective diffusers for FREE!  OK you have to have an alcohol bottle (empty) and some Velcro, maybe. Check out how I cut alcohol bottles to make excellent diffusers for my Canon 430 EXII and my 550 speedlight... the white "fabric" sock is from the grocery store... they wrap tomatoes and other fruits in these sleeves... I asked the grocery clerk if he would sell me some. He just went into the back and handed me a handful for free!  They take up almost NO room and work to provide a slightly harder diffused light than the alcohol bottle top or bottom. You can cut the cap neck off the top of the alcohol bottle to provide for a path for some light to hit the ceiling directly. Or use the bottom for a full bare bulb effect. Oh, and don't cut your fingers with the knife... a bit of Velcro on the sides of your flash act to provide grip tension.

Alcohol bottle top on left flash provides some direct light to bounce off ceiling while most is diffused. The tomato sleeve (with or without the bounce panel erected) provides excellent diffusion with more light reaching the ceiling. Cost is free.

-- hide signature --

Holding a camera, any camera, reduces my blood pressure, calms my nerves, and gives me a sense of opportunity!

Paul Farace's gear list:Paul Farace's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 50D Fujifilm X-Pro1 +3 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow