Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
David Banner
Senior MemberPosts: 2,337
Like?
Considering getting a Sony A6000 or NEX-6
5 months ago

I've been using my D300 for years now and longing for an upgrade.  I think now there will never be a D400.  The salesman I spoke with at B&H today agreed.  He said the D7100 was the upgrade from the D300.  It's $1100.

For $1250 I can get a A6000 with 16-50 kit lens plus the Sony 30 1.8 (with image stablization).  And I'm seriously considering doing this.  I look at it this way:  For the things I normally use my D300 for (portraits and sports) I can continue using it.  When I want something lighter (travel) or that does video, I can use the A6000.  If I need it, for sports, the 55-210mm is only $250-350.  I know it's not 2.8 but with the 24MP of the A6000 I'm not sure I need 2.8 any more.  At least not for ISO, but 2.8 would give better isolation.

I'm wondering what the pros and cons of this would be.  If I like the A6000 I could sell off some unused nikon lenses to finance it.  and Sony has lots of nice lenses available.  nikon has gotten pretty expensive.  For travel the A6000 + kit + 30 prime would be ideal.  I'm in the US on vacation and my D300 is at home as usual.  I'd like a solution for this.

Also in consideration is the Sony RX100 M3.  But for me it's a bit small and it's better to spend a bit more for the A6000 but I'm not entirely sure since the RX100 lens is better than the A6000 kit lens.

If Nikon had a small mirrorless DX camera i'd be all over it.  The Nikon 1 is a bit disappointing.  It's way more expensive than the A6000 for the same kit ($150 more).  It has a 1" crop factor, and the FT1 adapter (currently "free with V3") changes the 35mm equivalent of my existing lenses.  For example my 85 1.4 isn't going to be as useful for portraiture.  And that reminds me, I think I can use that 85 1.4 on the A6000 with an adapter but it'll be manual focus only.  I have to search on that to see if it's interesting.

Anyone else considering a move like this?

Sony a6000 Sony Alpha NEX-6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow