Ready to add another lens to my stable, suggestions?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Spud0
Regular MemberPosts: 187
Like?
Ready to add another lens to my stable, suggestions?
5 months ago

Hey guys - I know this is a sort of broad question that gets asked a lot around here. I'm searching and reading lots of threads - but maybe a fresh perspective can help me out here...

I have had the XF 27mm "pancake" lens on my X-E1 since around Xmas of last year. I love the lens very much and its been such a versatile work horse for me.

Now I'm looking to expand my horizons a bit and add another lens to my stable.

I feel like the 27mm does everything adequately - and I've used it for everything from landscapes to portraits and everything in between. However - I've really noticed I prefer shooting portraits of friends, family, and pets, people.

-The obvious stand-out seems to be the XF-56 , but its simply out of my price range at this time.

-The venerable 18-55 "kit" lens is an intriguing option. They can be had relatively inexpensively 2nd hand on eBay. Though i'm worried about the so-so bokeh. Offers a ton of versatility though

-Third party/legacy option. Rokinon 85 / Voit 40 / ??? etc. The budget friendly options.

- Wildcard - XF 35mm/1.4 = I've always wanted to give this lens a whirl but it's so close to my 27mm in terms of focal length that I'm hesitant to get it as a "2nd lens"

I'm recovering from surgery so I'm a bit bored with life these next few days. Surfing lens reviews and comparing examples. Thanks in advance for any input.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow