panasonic gx7 or olympus e-m10 for a 1,000 budget?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
Hen3ry
Forum ProPosts: 10,968Gear list
Like?
Repeating - switch off the touch screen
In reply to gugarci, 5 months ago

gugarci wrote:

Robert Snow wrote:

I have lost most of the sight in my right eye, so I have to use a viewfinder using the left eye.

bob snow

I feel your pain although in my case I can't see well out of my left eye it's very hazy all the time. Before this happened I was using a D300 and had trained myself to start using the right eye instead so my nose wouldn't rub the LCD. Who knew this was going to happen.

I had to shift to right eye composition decades ago when astigmatism showed up in my left eye -- and that was in the day when we actually had to use our eyesight to focus. Took me more than a year to change over and start getting reasonable compositions again.

But good point. If you are a left eye shooter the EVF on the left side of the body is not ideal. I just picked up my GX7 and tried it. If was a left eye shooter I would of bought the E-M10 or E-M1. And I was considering both these bodies but the GX7 spoke to me the loudest. The Panasonic bodies, GH4, GH3, G6 & GX7 fit my hand like a tailor glove.

I would have bought the GX7 except that Panny did not give it the fully articulated screen! I bought the G6 instead -- that fully articulated screen is great. Among other things, you can shoot with the screen turned inwards so you don't accidentally change focus through touching the screen with your nose of fingers.

BUT -- AS I HAVE ALREADY POSTED, it is simple to switch off the touch screen in the Custom menu and if you want to have it readily available, you can add it to the Quick Menu or put it on a button.

Really, this is no biggy.

Cheers, geoff

-- hide signature --

Geoffrey Heard
Down and out in Rabaul in the South Pacific
http://pngtimetraveller.blogspot.com/2011/10/return-to-karai-komana_31.html

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow