Fast lenses, and High ISO

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
tko
tko
Forum ProPosts: 10,430
Like?
you still need high--and higher--ISO
In reply to Chikoo, 4 months ago

People simple don't realize how easy it is to get into trouble. Shoot action when gets a little dark, and all of sudden you need ISO12800--or higher. Deep shadows between buildings, inside Churches, at dusk (the best hour to shoot.)

Returning from Europe, I had hundreds of images shot at ISO 12800 with shutter speeds down to 1/10th of a second. I was using relatively slow lenses (F4 to F5.6.) If I had faster lenses (which I didn't because I was traveling light) I could have shot ISO 3200 or lower. Much better image quality.

Yes, the lens still makes a difference, depending on your shooting needs.

Chikoo wrote:

Fast lenses, as they are called allow for more light to hit the sensor and in turn allow for fast(er) shutter speeds. The F number provides a relative measure of how much this ability is.

In this age of ever increasing ISO, are fast lenses needed anymore? The only ability I see the fast lenses provide was actually a disadvantage that happened to become a feature, and that is shallow DoF, allowing for separation of subject from the background.

That said, should they be called Fast Lenses or Shallow Lenses?

-- hide signature --

professional cynic and contrarian: don't take it personally

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow