Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
John811
New MemberPosts: 13
Like?
FX Lens on DX Sensor Camera
4 months ago

I have a question regarding using an FX lens on D3x00 camera. I have read some article on this topic but couldn't find one which answered my question in simple terms. I want to buy a FX 24-70mm F/4 lens for a DX camera. then the question arises:

a) Effective Focal Length: I know that a 35mm DX lens on DX camera is equivalent to 52mm FX lens on a FX camera. What happens in the case where a 50mm FX lens is put on a DX camera. Is the focal length equivalent to 35mm on DX, 50mm on DX or 75mm on DX ?

b) Effective light transmission: Since aperture is part of the lens, the composition of the camera body does not effect the values of aperture (Statistically a F/4 aperture will remain the same, whether on a FX or DX camera). However, i wanted to know if the light transmission from a FX lens with F/4 aperture (on a DX camera) will result in something, let say, close to the levels of light transmission observed in a  DX lens with F/2.8 aperture or not.

c) Effect on DoF: If I shoot a for a Portrait picture at 50mm on a DX lens with F/2.8 aperture, I will get background de-focussed image. Will shooting the same subject with FX lens at smaller apertures like F/4 on a DX camera give a similar background blur or not ?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow