Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Chas2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,429Gear list
Like?
Lightroom 5.5 and GX7 RAWs
5 months ago

Rookie question here, and very open to suggestions on moving to a different forum if this is not right

I shoot RAW + low quality JPEG, the latter so I can quickly display shots on a TV if I need to.  I have been using LR, now 5.5, but have never been very efficient with it.  Regardless, I seem to be even less efficient with the GX7.

I  set the GX7 picture adjustments for contrast, sharpness and noise reduction in the GX7 for -5, because I read somewhere that this gives you the least "cooked" RAW file, and you should handle all that cooking in LR.

It seems almost every JPEG thumbnail that shows up in LR (which I understand is not the Panasonic JPG, but one that LR generates) is underexposed by quite a bit.

Using the Auto Tone button for the lazy way out seems to make things worse, by increasing the exposure +.5 to 1.25 or more and totally washing out the JPG.

Anyone have any clues as to how to make the work flow easier?  After playing with the exposure, shawdows, highlights, and blacks, almost every time I have to punch it up a bit, sharpen and sometimes add some noise reduction (but not much).

I am quite satisfied with the results, but it seems I have to do a lot more to get it "closer" to what it should be, and the Adobe generated jpeg is always too dark.

Any suggestions? Or is that the way RAW is supposed to be?

Thanks in advance.

Chas2's gear list:Chas2's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +17 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow