Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
yardcoyote
Senior MemberPosts: 2,952Gear list
Like?
EM-10 EVF for DSLR user?
5 months ago

I'm currently using a Pentax DSLR and one of the things I love about it is the excellent OVF-- full coverage pentaprism, super big and bright.  I can't imagine giving that up, and don't plan to.  But I am considering adding a smaller mirrorless body and a prime or two to my stable, with the idea that it might make a good alternative to a compact with a zoom as a bookbag camera.  A viewfinder is still important to me, so I am looking at an Olympus EM-10.

For those of you who shoot with that camera and also have experience with DSLRs with real pentaprism viewfinders, how good is the EM-10s EVF?  Is it big enough?  Bright enough?  Any lag, smearing, or blackouts? Most of all, does it seem "fake"?  Can you tell it is an EVF while you are using it, and does it interfere with your shooting experience?

I have tried out a number of EVF equipped cameras over the last year or two, and the results were mixed.  I've disliked the Sony versions I tried (glassy and obvious), and found the one on the Fuji X-T1 to be quite good-- I was able to use the camera normally once I stopped paying attention.  That's what I'm looking for: a transparent experience where I can forget I am using an EVF at all.  Are we there yet with the Oly?

yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +2 more
Fujifilm X-T1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow