New SDM motor & circuit board for DA*

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Ishpuini
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,047Gear list
Like?
Re: New SDM motor & circuit board for DA*
In reply to klimbkat, 2 months ago

klimbkat wrote:

I recently sent my DA* 16-50 to CRIS for SDM repair. I called today to approve the quote ($275!) and the customer service person said that there was both a new SDM motor and a new circuit board to go along with it. Prior SDM repairs have apparently just replaced the motor, but apparently the new motor needs somewhat different electronics. While the cost is pretty steep, this is the first SDM repair I'm actually paid for since getting the 16-50 in 2008 (others were under warranty), so I guess that is some solace. Fingers crossed that the new system is more reliable - I really like the lens.

Hello Doug,

Same here (or almost). A few months ago I decided to send in my DA*16-45/2.8 for maintenance, stating that SDM was starting to become sluggish to start early in the morning. Actually, so far I never had SDM failing on me, but after some days' inactivity the lens always required a few minutes to "warm up" for SDM to start working. Also the AF had been squeaking a lot lately.

Anyway, I paid around the same price as you did, for a lens that is about the same age or older (purchased as soon as available here in Europe, late summer 2007 I believe). Spread over the years of using my DA*16-50/2.8 and the number of images I made with it, the yearly cost or cost per image of this repair is not too bad... compared to what an annual (recommended) maintenance would have cost me for instance...

The repairs took some time, but when I got back the lens the squeaking was gone and so far I haven't had to warm it up yet. I hope the same repairs were done to mine as yours, assuming this will make me enjoy the lens for many years to come...

Tx for your post!!

Wim

-- hide signature --

Antwerp, Belgium, GMT+1

Ishpuini's gear list:Ishpuini's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow